Organising an event

Coronavirus update

The government has published additional guidance as we ease out of lockdown. Please see the below roadmap on what this means for organising events in 2021. 

GOV.UK website - roadmap out of lockdown

If you are interested in putting together an event, you’ll need to think about insurance, security, licensing and more. We have covered the major points below, but if you have further queries, please contact our Events team.

Event applications

If you want to hold an event on our land you will need our permission.

For an event to approved you will need to send us:

  • an event application form
  • a risk assessment for your event
  • confirmation that you have public liability insurance for a minimum of £5 million

Depending on your event we might ask for more information and safety documents.

Applications need to be sent to us a minimum of six weeks before your event takes place. Major or larger events will need a longer lead time. However, we recommend that you send us your application well before your proposed event date to avoid any issues. 

For notification periods please check the application form. 

Please note, applications which do not meet our submission deadlines will be refused.

Fees and charges

Site fees will apply for the hire of council land for events. All fees must be paid before your event takes place.


If you are using our land, property or facilities, you are required to arrange public liability insurance with at least £5m in coverage. The insurance must cover the entire length of the event.

You’ll need to ensure that any third parties, such as contractors and entertainers, also have their own public liability insurance with at least £5m cover.

You’ll need to send proof of your cover, and that of any third parties, to our events teams with your application form.

If you want to include third party risk under your own insurance, you’ll need to send us written confirmation from your insurers.

Policing and security

You will need a fire safety assessment as part of your application that includes:

  • measures to reduce the risk of fire breaking out or spreading on the premises
  • means of escape from the premises
  • measures to ensure that the means of escape can be safely and effectively used at all times
  • means for fighting fires on the premises
  • means for detecting fire and giving warning in case of fire on the premises
  • arrangements for action to be taken in the event of a fire – including the instruction and training of employees – plus measures to minimise the effects of the fire

You’ll also need to include measures for people with special needs.

To find out more, visit the following resources: 

Dangerous substances and explosives

Special arrangements must be made for dangerous substances and explosive atmospheres.

Find out more about the regulations on the Health and Safety Executive website.

Licensing (alcohol and entertainment)

If your event is free to enter you will need to apply for street trading consent. You need to do this at least six weeks before your event.

If you want to hold a charity street collection you will need a permit. The permit is free and you will need to apply at least three weeks before your event.

If your event includes the sale of alcohol, entertainment or hot food or drink after 11pm you will need a licence. There are different types of licenses depending on our event.

Contact our licensing team to find out what licence you need.

Closing a road

If you want to close a road or introduce a temporary road restriction, you’ll need to apply for council permission. This application must be submitted 12 weeks in advance of your event.

Food safety

Visit the Food Standards Agency website to find information about food health and safety at events.

Fireworks and explosives

If you want to use fireworks or explosives at your event, you’ll need a licence.

Other helpful information

Visit the Business Companion website to find out about legislation on:

  • product safety
  • weights and measures
  • food labelling
  • counterfeit goods
  • consumer rights and refunds