Explosives and fireworks

You need a licence if you store fireworks or explosives. There is a fee for each licence depending on the amount and type of explosives or fireworks to be stored and whether it is a new application or a renewal.

Less than 2,000 kg

If you will be storing less than 2,000kg of explosives, you will need to complete the fireworks and explosives storage application.

For an application form email trading.standards@n-somerset.gov.uk

More than 2,000 kg

If you will be storing more than 2,000kg of explosives you need to apply to the Health and Safety Executive.

Blasting explosive and black powder

If you are storing explosive that requires an explosive certificate (for example blasting explosive or black powder) you will need a licence from the police.

Sales of fireworks

Fireworks can only be sold

  • 15 October to 10 November
  • 26 to 31 December
  • three days before and on the Chinese New Year and Diwali

If you wish to sell fireworks at other times of the year you need to complete an annual sales application. You must have a fireworks and explosives storage licence to apply.


trading standards