Council Tax discounts

Some people are entitled to a discount on their Council Tax bill.

Single person discount

Council Tax bills are worked out assuming two adults live in a property. If you are the only adult in your home, you can apply for a single person discount, which gives you a 25% reduction.

You’ll need to log in to or register for MyAccount to apply for a discount. MyAccount is a quick and safe way to manage your Council Tax online.

Student discount

Students are disregarded for Council Tax. If two adults live in your home and one is a full-time student, you may be able to get a student discount. The student must be taking a course of at least 21 hours a week for 24 weeks a year.

If three adults live in your home and one of you is a student, you won’t be entitled to a student discount.

If you think you are eligible for a student discount, sign into MyAccount to apply. You will need to upload a copy of your student certificate.

Severe cognitive disorder discount

There are discounts for people who have a severe cognitive disorder.

People who don’t pay Council Tax

Some people are entitled to a full discount and will not need to pay Council Tax at all (disregarded people). You could be classed as a disregarded person if:

  • you are a patient in hospital for a long time
  • you are being looked after in a care home
  • you are staying in a hostel or night shelter
  • you are 18 or 19 and still in education
  • you are a care worker on a very low income
  • you are caring for someone with a disability who is not a spouse, partner or child under 18
  • you are a member of visiting armed forces or certain international institutions
  • you are a member of a religious community
  • you are in prison (unless you are in prison for not paying your Council Tax or a fine)

Empty properties

You could receive a discount if your property is unoccupied because it needs major repairs before it can be lived in.

Regular reviews

If you get a discount on your Council Tax, we will carry out regular reviews to make sure you’re still entitled to it.

We’ll contact you and ask you to complete a review. If you don’t reply to us, your discount will end and we'll send you a new Council Tax bill.

If your circumstances change, you must tell us straight away. You can do this online using MyAccount.