Other residential alterations

We recommend going through the Planning Portal's interactive map and common projects list, which can tell you if you need planning permission for residential changes or alterations that don't relate to extensions or annexes. 

We have listed below the most common additional changes that are requested with us. However, if you are still unsure if you need permission,you may wish to book our written advice service who can provide confirmation on your proposal. 

Dropped kerbs for vehicle access

Planning permission is needed to make:

  • a new access to a trunk road or a classified road
  • access to an unclassified road when you are not doing works which are covered under permitted development

Closing roads and temporary traffic management

If you want to close a road or introduce a temporary road restriction you must apply to us for permission. Please see our road closures and temporary traffic management page for more information. 

Placing objects on a highway

You’ll need a licence if you want to place objects or structures on the highway, such as:

  • building materials
  • hoardings
  • mobile elevated work platforms
  • scaffolding
  • skips
  • a tower crane oversailing the highway

Please see our licence to place objects or structures on a highway page for more information. 

Section 50 Licence application (New Road and Street Works Act 1991)

If you want to carry out work to existing or install new equipment in a road that we look after, and you are not from a utility company (known as a ‘statutory undertaker’), you’ll need to apply to us for a Section 50 Licence (New Road and Street Works Act 1991).

Please see our Section 50 Licence application page for more information.

Highways and public rights of way

If your project includes work on a highway or public right of way, you may need permission from us. Works will also need to be coordinated with water and power companies to minimise disruption. Consider where skips and materials are put.

For safety purposes, do not block a highway or public right of way.

Help and advice

Outside of applying for one of our pre-application advice service, you may also wish to contact a builder or consultant in the first instance. 

We have created the below reference guides, as well as a list of builders and consultants that work in our area for your reference. We also recommend you contact our building control service, who are a team of professional surveyors who can assist with any building project, large or small.