Change of use - agricultural to housing

You can change the use of agricultural buildings to housing without full planning permission. Related minor changes or demolition are also allowed with prior approval. You will need to apply and receive approval before the start of any building works.

Please see our page on permitted development rights for more information.

You can apply for prior approval through the Planning Portal. 


Permitted development rights do not apply in:

  • conservation areas
  • areas​ of outstanding natural beauty
  • sites of special scientific interest
  • safety hazard areas
  • scheduled monuments or sites
  • listed buildings (including curtilage listed buildings)