Help signing in or changing details in MyAccount

If you don’t have an account, you can register to use the MyAccount service.

Once you have created an account, you only need your email address and password to log in.

Forgotten passwords

You can reset your password from the sign-in page.

You can change your password in MyAccount by clicking ‘Forgot your password’. We will send you a verification code which will allow you to change your password.

Changing the details on your account

You can change your name in MyAccount by clicking 'update your details' when you are logged in.

You can also add and amend your address and telephone numbers in the same way. 

If you need to tell us about a name change for your Council Tax or benefits, for example due to marriage or deed poll, please submit your details via our online form.