When selling goods by weight, volume or length you must keep to rules designed to help consumers understand how much they’re buying and what their rights are.
International standards make sure that quantity measurements are consistent. This means businesses can compete fairly and consumers are protected from inaccurate measures.
We make sure businesses keep to these rules by:
- visiting to check weighing and measuring equipment for accuracy
- checking pre-packed products at production and in shops
- investigating complaints of short measure
South Gloucestershire Council carry out some metrological functions for us. This includes:
- a calibration service for weights up to 20 kilograms, measures up to 20 litres and measures of length
- verifying your weighing and measuring equipment
Fees apply. For more information contact: