About trading standards

We promote and maintain a fair and safe trading environment to protect consumers and allow businesses to thrive in our area.


Free, confidential and impartial consumer advice is given by Citizens Advice. Contact them if you think something should be reported as a trading standards issue. They will pass the information to us so we can decide if we need to investigate.

Citizens Advice consumer service

Citizens Advice scams action service

More about our trading standards

Product recall

The government is running a product recall campaign. Visit their website to check whether a product has been recalled – this covers household appliances, food and drink products, and medicines. You can also register your household appliance, meaning manufacturers can get in touch with you if a product is recalled.

Report food crime

Food Crime Confidential is a reporting facility where anyone with suspicions about food crime can report them safely and in confidence, over the phone or through email. Run by the National Food Crime Unit, the facility is particularly targeted at those working in or around the UK food industry.

For the latest news advice on food safety and feed, visit the Food Standard Agency’s beta website.