Keep clear markings

These are white H shaped advisory markings that are painted in front of a driveway to draw attention to a dropped kerb and encourage people not to park across it.

The marking is only painted across the extent of the dropped kerb, from one taper to the other. If you want the marking to go across a neighbour’s property you need to have written permission from the owner or occupier. This also applies to shared access – all properties will need to agree in writing.

Applying for a keep clear marking

To apply for a marking, contact: 

  • your ward councillor if you live in Clevedon, Nailsea, Portishead or Weston-super-Mare
  • your parish council if you live elsewhere in North Somerset 

They will review your application and consider whether parked cars are regularly causing an obstruction.

Markings are not normally provided if the councillor or your neighbours refuse the application, or if the location already has double yellow lines.

The councillor or parish council will explain their decision in writing. If they approve your request, you should forward their letter to us, with any other supporting information or necessary consents.

When we receive your application we’ll invoice you for £95 and include the marking on the next available lining works order for our contractor. The width of the H bar will be 50mm.

We don’t routinely maintain these markings. If you want to have a marking repainted you should apply using the same process so we can check that it still meets the criteria for a marking.

keep clear marking applications

H Bar Applications North Somerset Council - Highways and Transport Town Hall Walliscote Grove Road Weston-super-Mare BS23 1UJ