Help with housing costs

If you are struggling to pay your rent, you may be able to get help with housing costs.

Housing benefit

Housing benefit can help you pay for all or part of your rent. We work out if you are entitled to housing benefit, and how much you’d be entitled to, by looking at your household’s income.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a monthly payment to help you with your living costs if you are on a low income or are out of work.

It is replacing certain benefits, such as housing benefit and income support, and is being rolled out across the UK.

You can find out more about Universal Credit, including eligibility and what you might be entitled to, on the Gov.UK website.

Discretionary housing payments

We have a limited amount of money each year to help people who are in extreme hardship with their rent. It is available for people claiming Housing Benefit.

To apply for a discretionary housing payment, you’ll need to print and complete a form and send it back to us.