Energy and heating advice

Energy rebate for customers who don’t pay an energy supplier directly

The government has recently announced that customers who don’t pay for their energy directly to their supplier will be eligible for a £400 discount on their fuel bills. This includes

  • care home residents
  • residents of park homes
  • tenants in some private and social rented homes
  • residents of caravans and houseboats on registered sites
  • farmers living in domestic farmhouses
  • off-grid households

The application process will open in January 2023 on the government’s website. We have not been told what the process will be for people who cannot apply online.

Although local councils will be responsible for checking and processing applications, we will not be able to answer any queries until we receive more information from the government about the grant process. 

Contact details for queries should be available on the government's website when the application process opens.

Priority Service Register

We know that some people need a little extra help, which is why we offer priority support to those who need it. By registering for a Priority Service Register, you’ll get extra support during a power cut if you need it. These registers are suitable for elderly, very ill or disabled people, or those who rely on power for medical equipment.

Water suppliers also have priority registers. If you are on their register, they can make sure you’re aware of disruptions by either phoning you, a home visit, or perhaps letting your neighbour know so they can make you aware.

Bristol Water Priority Services or you can call them 03456 003 600.

Wessex Water Priority Services or you can call them on 03456 003 600.

Citizens Advice North Somerset

Citizens Advice North Somerset can offer help and advice if you:

  • are worried about an energy bill
  • are struggling to pay an energy bill
  • are having problems topping up your prepayment meter
  • have been told your energy supply will be disconnected
  • want to know how to get extra support from your energy provider

The Centre of Sustainable Energy have produced some helpful leaflets on energy advice and fuel poverty. They range from condensation and damp advice to low cost lighting options and understanding energy bills. These resources can be found on The Centre of Sustainable Energy website.

Disability energy support

If you are disabled, Scope offer free energy and water advice to help you manage your energy and water needs. Their expert advisers can talk you through support available.

Free energy and money saving advice visit

Burnham & Weston Energy are helping local residents reduce energy bills and keep homes warm. They're offering free, expert, independent, one-to-one energy advice to those who meet certain criteria.

Useful links