Non-material amendments

The non-material amendment process allows for very small changes to be made on a decided planning applications. It is not possible to use the non-material amendment process to make changes to a Listed Building Consent.

At present there is no certified definition of 'non-material'. Whether or not changes are material or not depends wholly on the specific context of the application, and will take into account things like size or whether any previous planning permission has been granted. 

An application for a non-material amendment is usually done to determine if the proposed changes are material or not. If it is decided that the changes are material, then the application will be refused.

Guidelines for assessment

Only changes that would be trivial in terms of their scale, magnitude, or degree in relation to the original planning permission can be approved as a non-material amendment.

As part of our review process, we will consider: 

  • if the change will have a negative impact on living conditions
  • if the change would have a negative impact on the appearance of the development and the character of the area
  • if any third party would be disadvantaged
  • if the change would require us to re-consult
  • if the change would be contrary to a previous statutory consultee response
  • if change would result in the development falling outside the description of the development on the approval notice
  • if the change would conflict with the objectives of any condition attached to the original permission
  • if the change needs more conditions to make it acceptable
  • if the change conflicts with planning policy
  • if the change would require an extension to site boundary (the redline shown on the location and site plan)
  • if the change would introduce new works which in themselves constitute ‘development’ requiring planning permission

If the answer to any of these is ‘yes’, then the matter will not normally qualify as a non-material amendment.  However, each non-material amendment will be considered on its own merit.

How to apply

Applications for non-material amendments can be made online via the Planning Portal link above. 

Further information

If you are in any doubt about where a proposed change is likely to be non-material or not then, to avoid delays, we recommend applying either for a minor material amendment or a revised full application.