An energy statement is required for:
- all new residential units (including conversions)
- non-residential development (including change of use, conversions and extensions) with a floor area over 500m2
It will need to show how your development has been designed to reduce energy use, and will take into consideration:
- siting and location
- shelter planting
- internal layout of rooms
- natural ventilation and lighting
- material usage (for example thermally efficient materials)
- construction techniques
- shared heat through party walls
Statements will predict the energy demand of a development using detailed calculations.
Alternatively, energy calculations are allowed using benchmark data from the Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers or the Environmental Association for Universities and Colleges.