Council Tax appeals

If you don't think you should be paying Council Tax

If you don’t think you should be paying Council Tax, you can appeal.

You can appeal if:

How to appeal

To appeal your Council Tax, you’ll need to send us a request using our online enquiry form and include as much information as possible. We’ll look at your appeal and contact you when we’ve made a decision.

If you don’t get a decision on your appeal within two months, or you disagree with our decision, you can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal Service. 

You need to pay your Council Tax while your appeal takes place

If you appeal, you still need to pay your Council Tax while a decision is being made. If your appeal is successful you will get a full refund of any overpaid Council Tax.

If you think your Council Tax band is wrong

You can appeal against your Council Tax band if you think that the Valuation Office Agency has made a mistake.

You can appeal if:

  • you believe that the banding should be changed because there has been an increase or reduction in your property’s value
  • you start or stop using part of your property to carry out a business, or the balance between domestic and business use changes
  • you’ve moved into the property for the first time within the last six months