How to apply for an EHCP

An EHC needs assessment of a child or young person aged from birth to 25 can be requested by:

  • the child's parent or carer
  • a young person over the age of 16 but under the age of 25
  • a school, special educational needs coordinator (SENCO) or post-16 institution
  • a foster carer, early years practitioner or a health or social care worker
  • a child or young person under 19 in a youth custodial establishment

A request for an EHC needs assessment must be made with the knowledge and agreement of the child's parent or the young person.

Requests for an EHC needs assessment can be made through the EHC portal or by post.

Requests sent by post should be sent to our SEND team.

SEND team

Education Inclusion Service

Town Hall

Walliscote Grove Road


BS23 1UJ

When making your request, you should include:

  • your child's name and date of birth
  • their current education setting (if any)
  • a list of professionals that are currently or have previously been involved with your child