Definitive map

The definitive map records all public rights of way and proves that they legally exist.

The physical map can be viewed by appointment only between 9.30am-noon and 2-4pm Monday to Friday at the Town Hall, Weston-super-Mare.

You can view the map online through the button below. 

Highways across private land

Under section 31(6) of the Highways Act 1980, landowners can make a statement and submit a map which acknowledges any dedicated highways across their land.

They can then submit a declaration that asks that no additional routes across the land will be made into highways within 20 years of the statement being made. This helps protect land against alternations on the definitive map, as well as against claims to add public rights of way.

We’re updating the Section 31(6) register of landowner statements, maps, and declarations. If you want to make an enquiry, use our enquiry form.

Changing the definitive map

The definitive map and statement can only be legally changed by a definitive map modification order or public path order. Work should not begin on the ground until an order has been confirmed.

Modification orders

Modification orders can make legal changes to the definitive map, statements, and claimed routes. It can also make changes to a route already recorded.

There is no charge for a modification application; however, the process is lengthy and it may be several years before applications are decided.

Public path orders

Public path orders are used to create new paths and to  make changes to existing routes under the Highways Act 1980 and the Town and Country Planning Act 1990.

If you believe that you have a right to use a path that is not shown on the definitive map, you can apply to have it added.

Appointments can only be made by calling