Caravan site licence

You must hold a valid site licence to operate your land as a caravan site.

This includes sites for:

  • touring
  • static holiday
  • residential
  • park homes

Planning permission

Relevant planning permission must be in place to get a caravan site licence. 

For more information, please visit our Planning and Building Control section.  

Expiry dates

Site licences do not generally expire but they do follow planning permission. If the permission is temporary, the site licence will expire at the same time as the permission.


The local authority can produce licence conditions in line with Model Standards.

Site owners are consulted on the proposed conditions before the licence is issued.

How to apply

To apply for a caravan site licence of any type, please contact the Private Rented Housing team for an application form.

Please return completed application forms to us with the appropriate fee (if applicable).

We aim to process new applications within 42 days. The time frame may be extended with agreement.

If you don't hear from us within 42 days, you will be able to continue as though your application has been granted.

Transferring a site licence

If a site is sold to someone new, the site licence may be transferred to the new owner if approved.

Please contact Private Rented Housing for an application to transfer form.