3. The price of sign up to the Garden Waste Collection Service is detailed on the North Somerset Council website at: www.n-somerset.gov.uk/gardenwaste
You are entitled to a 75% discount on each green bin in your subscription if you receive council tax support. This is the only benefit which qualifies for a discount.
4. NSC will use reasonable endeavours to contact you before 15th March 2023 (and before every anniversary thereof) setting out the charge that will be payable for the Garden Waste Collection Service for the following year. However, we cannot guarantee that you will receive the reminder so you should make a note of the date, so you know when to renew your subscription.
You may be able to opt for your subscription to automatically renew each year by paying by direct debit. If you pay by direct debit and wish to cancel the service rather than renew it, you must give NSC 30 days’ notice of cancellation.
Renewing your subscription is your responsibility. To ensure continuation of service you should renew and pay the annual fee at least 10 working days before the end of the current subscription. We cannot offer any compensation if you do not renew the subscription before the expiry date. Failure to pay the annual charge will automatically result in the service ending without notice.
Provision and ownership of bins
5. Delivery of a bin (or bags) for addresses requiring a container and the start of collections may take up to 28 working days following sign up and payment.
6. NSC will provide new sign-ups with a 240-litre bin as standard for use with the Garden Waste Collection Service. Where a property is not suitable for a wheeled bin and receives a sack refuse collection, three garden waste bags (equivalent to approximately one bin) will be provided instead. Bins and bags remain the property of NSC. If the bin that has been provided to you is lost, stolen, or damaged you may be charged the cost of replacement and delivery.
7. If your property was registered under the previous garden waste service for a 180-litre bin, collections will continue from this container once signed up to this service and will only be exchanged upon request for a 240-litre container. You may request a container swap. Requests may take up to 28 working days and NSC may charge for this. The charge to swap a container will be detailed on the website at: www.n-somerset.gov.uk/gardenwaste
8. If you are moving house within North Somerset, you can transfer your subscription to your new address at no additional cost. This must be recorded through your garden waste account or by contacting us through our council connect team online or by phone once you have moved.
The subscription will be transferred from your old address within 10 working days. You must take the garden waste bin with you when you move.
We do not offer refunds if you move out of the area or no longer use the service in your new home.
In the event that you do not renew your garden waste subscription by the end of the service year, NSC reserve the right to remove the garden waste container/s from your property.
Acceptable use and location of collection
9. Only certain materials should be placed in the bin (or bags) for collection. A list can be found at www.n-somerset.gov.uk/gardenwaste which sets out which materials are accepted, and which are not. NSC will not empty bins (or bags) that contain incorrect material.
10. NSC will not empty bins (or bags) where staff reasonably consider there is a risk of personal injury to staff or damage to the bin, the collection vehicle, or other property for any reason including, for example, excess weight or frozen contents. Where a collection is refused for this reason, a log of the refusal reason will be made on the waste management system. The householder must reduce the weight of the contents or otherwise remove the risk before the bin (or bags) will be emptied on the next scheduled collection.
11. NSC’s decision on whether a bin or bags will be emptied where you have not complied with clause 9 and/or 10 will be final, and an alternate collection will not be arranged, nor compensation provided.
12. The Garden Waste Collection Service is only provided to domestic properties (i.e. those which fall within the definition of “dwelling” in section 3 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992). Collections will not be made from any property other than the property to which you sign up or a property to which you have moved to following a formal transfer request (see clause 8).
Frequency of collections, collection failures, and unforeseen events
13. Garden Waste will only be collected from the bin (or bags) provided. NSC will not collect garden waste which is not in the bin or bags and in the case of a bin the lid must be closed.
14. Subject to the provisions below (including clause 21 and events which are beyond NSC’s control), it is the intention that garden waste will be collected once each fortnight (March-November) or thereabouts and monthly during the winter months (December – February) or thereabouts. Details of the intended collection days are available on NSC’s website.
15. The day of collection may be affected by Bank Holidays and exceptional circumstances such as inclement weather. NSC will take reasonable steps to notify you of a change of collection day in good time via the website, recycling and waste social media pages and/or by letter or email, but this may not be possible in certain circumstances.
16. Bins (or bags) must be put out before 6.30am on your designated collection day and no earlier than the night before and should be brought back onto your property as soon as possible after collection. You should not place the bin (or bags) in a way that obstructs pavements or roads.
17. It is possible that during the service year unforeseen events beyond NSC’s control may arise which affect the operation of the Garden Waste Collection Service. Such circumstances may include, but are not limited to:
- acts of God, flood, drought, earthquake, or other natural disaster
- epidemic or pandemic, including the effect of government measures to contain and control such outbreaks
- terrorist attack, civil war, civil commotion or riots, war, threat of or preparation for war, armed conflict
- nuclear, chemical, or biological contamination or sonic boom
- collapse of buildings, fire, explosion, or accident
- any labour or trade dispute, strikes, industrial action or lockouts
- interruption or failure of utility service
18. Where any unforeseen event (or similar) detailed in clause 17 arises NSC reserves the right to vary the Garden Waste Collection Service including by cancelling or rescheduling collections as far as is reasonably necessary under the circumstances. No refund will be provided for cancelled collections under these circumstances. However, where any circumstance arises which prevents NSC from fulfilling this contract for a period of  days or more you may cancel your sign up by giving NSC  days’ notice] in writing to Garden Waste, Recycling and Waste, Castlewood, Tickenham Road, Clevedon, BS21 6FW (or by email to email@example.com). Where you cancel the garden waste service under these circumstances you will receive a refund which will be calculated on the basis of the cancelled portion of the service year.
19. Where a collection is missed for reasons within the control of NSC or its contractor, and NSC is made aware of the missed collection either by you within two working days of the scheduled collection or by the contractor NSC will endeavour to arrange a new collection to take place within two working days of being notified of the missed collection. No refunds will be provided under these circumstances.
Variation of this contract
20. With the exception of clause 18. NSC may vary or amend this contract and will use reasonable endeavours to notify you of these changes. Where you receive such notice, you may cancel your service within  days of receipt of notice. You must provide NSC with  days’ written notice of your intent to cancel. Where you cancel under these circumstances you will receive a refund which will be calculated on the basis of the cancelled portion of the service year starting from the end of your notice period.
Annual Service Suspension
21. The Garden Waste Collection Service does not operate for a period around Christmas (thereby enabling the increased collection of other waste over such period). Collection calendars will be updated in the autumn to reflect this but the period is likely to last for approximately six weeks (give or take a week or two). No refund will be provided for this period.
Distance selling termination rights
22. Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 you have the right to change your mind about your subscription and cancel your contract within a 14-day period. The 14 days will commence from the day you sign up and pay. If you should wish to cancel within this period, please e‐mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your signup fee will be refunded within 14 days of your notice of cancellation if you cancel during this period. If you already have a bin where you cancel in this way, NSC may contact you to arrange collection of the bin. A charge may be made where the bin has been damaged after delivery to you.
23. In order to administer the Garden Waste Collection Service, it will be necessary for NSC to process certain personal data. All personal data will be processed in accordance with the requirements of the Data Protection Act 2018 and the General Data Protection Regulation. NSC will process subscriber’s personal data on the basis that the processing is necessary for the performance of the Garden Waste Collection Service contract between you and NSC.
24. Customers are either given a permit sticker/s to stick on their bin/s or a permit tag/s to attach to their garden waste sacks. Customers should note that those with permit stickers will have their residential address printed on them and those with tags will have a blank space on which to write their residential address.