Student income

We treat student loans, grants and bursaries as income for Housing Benefit purposes.

If you or your partner are entitled to a student loan and choose not to take the loan, the amount you are entitled to will still be treated as your income.

This will also apply if you take a lower amount than you or your partner are entitled to.

We do not count some loans, grants and bursaries for Housing Benefit purposes:

  • Childcare Grant
  • Parent’s Learning Allowance
  • some bursaries which are for course-related costs and/or childcare
  • Special Support Grant
  • student grant for tuition fees
  • student loan for tuition fees

We will need to see an original Council Tax exemption certificate or a student registration letter confirming your weekly hours of study and the length of your course.