Dangerous wild animals

You need this licence if you are privately keeping a dangerous wild animal and you are not running a circus, pet shop or zoo.


Refer to the schedule within the legislation for the list of animals covered by this licence.

Other information

  • you must be over 18 and be the keeper of the animal(s)
  • you must have public liability insurance against injury or damage caused by the animal
  • a vet must inspect the facilities and animal(s) before we decide on the licence
  • we must be satisfied that keeping the animal does not pose a risk to public safety and cause nuisance
  • you must take precautions to ensure adequate safe accommodation of the animal(s) and there are prevention measures to stop spread of disease
  • suitable fire/emergency procedures must be in place
food and safety team