The Smokefree North Somerset and We Are Super Health Promotion Day takes place on Thursday 30 November, from 10am to 2pm, at We Are Super studios in The Sovereign, Weston-super-Mare.
A host of different organisations will be there offering free advice and support to help people take control of their health as winter approaches.
Cllr Jenna Ho Marris, North Somerset Council’s executive member for public health, said: “This is a fantastic event for people to come along and find out more about the free help and support they can access to help take control of their health this winter..
“The winter months can be bad for our health, especially for older people or those with long-term conditions. Cold weather can pose health risks and respiratory illnesses like the flu and covid circulate more. Plus, with the nights getting darker and colder, it can be harder to stay active. Many people also find the reduced daylight hours can affect their mental health.
“But there are things you can do to stay healthy this winter. This event is a great chance to come and get the support you need, for free. There’ll be lots of organisations there, ready to help you take control of your health this winter.”
Among those who will be at the event are:
- Teams from North Somerset Council including Smokefree North Somerset who provide free support to help people quit smoking for good; Better Health North Somerset offering help to eat well, get active, lose weight and more; the housing advice team
- Alright my Liver – offering free liver testing that can help diagnose liver disease
- VitaMinds who work with the NHS to provide free talking therapy services to people in North Somerset
- Social prescribers from Citizens Advice North Somerset who can connect people to activities, groups, and services to meet the practical, social and emotional affecting their health and wellbeing
- A vaccination team from the University of the West of England (UWE) will be on hand to give flu jabs to people aged 18 and above who are eligible for a free NHS flu vaccination and people aged 12 and over who are eligible for a Covid-19 booster jab
- services from Weston Hospital
- Healthwatch North Somerset
- Sirona care & health
- We Are With You - a local charity commissioned by the council to support people and help them recover from addiction
- Addiction Recovery for All (ARA) – a charity helping people recover from mental health, drug and alcohol and gambling problems
The event will be in the Seaside Suite at We Are Super (next door to the old Wilko store) and there is no need to book in advance – just turn up on the day!