North Somerset Council is developing a new housing strategy and would like residents to play a key role in its development.
The consultation opened last week and will close on Monday 1 November.
Cllr Mike Bell, North Somerset Council's executive member with responsibility for housing said: "This is a chance for everyone with an interest in housing in North Somerset to contribute their ideas and feedback about housing related challenges and options.
"We want to provide more affordable housing in North Somerset, make the best use of our existing housing stock including the introduction of energy efficiency measures and provide further support for those in housing need for whatever reason.
"This is your chance to help shape this extremely important strategy."
They key elements of the strategy include:
Delivering better quality and affordable homes
- Increasing the number of affordable homes to meet local need
- Making sure new homes are in the right places so people can access the services they need
- Working with private landlords to provide good quality homes at affordable rents.
Making sure we make best use of current housing
- Helping people improve their homes and make them more energy efficient
- Working with landlords to make sure that rented homes are safe and in good condition.
- Helping people adapt their home as their needs change so that they can live in their homes for longer.
Helping people who need support with their housing
- Preventing homelessness and supporting people to find housing when they need it
- Providing the right type of housing when people need extra support because of things like a disability, health condition or age
- Making sure that those who are living in inappropriate accommodation have the chance to find alternative places to live with the right support.
Anyone involved in the provision of housing or housing related support, who is interested in finding out more about the strategy, can take part in a range of online workshops covering different aspects of housing.
The workshops will be held on the following dates: • Tuesday 5 October AM - Housing related support • Tuesday 5 October PM - Supported accommodation • Tuesday 12 October AM - Existing housing • Tuesday 12 October PM - New housing supply.
If you would like to be involved in one or more of these events, please email Lcollingbourne@arkconsultancy.co.uk
People can also read and comment on the draft strategy by visiting https://n-somerset.inconsult.uk/hous/consultationHome