Householder applications

To submit a valid planning application, you will need to send the following:

*this is essential during the coronavirus outbreak

Supporting documents

You will also need to send us the following supporting documents, if relevant to your application.

If any of these items are not included with your application, you will need to explain why. Not providing information may result in your application being delayed or refused.

Bat survey

A bat survey is needed in a wide range of circumstances. See our bat survey page for more information.

Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) form

A Community Infrastructure Levy form is required for applications to extend existing dwellings.

Design and access statement

A design and access statement is needed when any part of the site is within a conservation area. Use our planning map to find out if your property is in a conservation area.

Existing and proposed site sections and levels

Site section and level plans are needed for all proposals where:

  • the land is sloping
  • the site is next to land that is at a different level
  • changes to ground levels are needed

Flood evacuation plan

A flood evacuation plan is needed for developments within flood zones 2 and 3 that do not have internal access to a first floor.

Flood risk assessment

A flood risk assessment is needed for proposals in flood zones 2 or 3 (including 3a and 3b). Use our planning map to find flood zones near you.

Joinery drawings

Joinery drawings are needed if you intend to install new windows and doors, or replace internal windows and doors.

Listed building consent

You will need this when your property is a listed building.

You will need to submit:

Roof plans

Roof plans are needed when complex roof alterations are proposed.

Street scene

A street scene is needed for large side extensions that will be near to neighbouring buildings.

Tree survey

A tree survey is needed when there are trees in an application site, or on land nearby (including trees in neighbouring gardens and streets), that could be affected by the development. This includes works such as site access, service routes and site compounds.

This applies to all trees with a stem diameter greater than 75mm when measured at 1.5m above ground level.

Help with your application

If you are still unsure about what you need to include with your planning application, you can pay to use our pre-submission validity checking service.