Work and financial support during coronavirus

It’s really important that you continue to be vigilant about potential scams. If you’re not completely sure that something you’ve been sent is genuine, don’t respond or click on any links. We will never ask you for your bank details over the phone.

If your income has been affected by the coronavirus pandemic, there is help and advice available.

Furlough and the job support scheme

The Government's furlough scheme has been extended until March. If you are placed on furlough you could receive 80% of your normal pay.

The Government has also introduced a new job support scheme. 

Find out more on the GOV.UK website.

Citizens Advice

The Citizens Advice website has lots of helpful information about money matters during the coronavirus pandemic. They offer advice about paying your bills, furlough pay and what to do if you’re self-employed.

Visit the Citizens Advice website.

If you've lost your job

If you've lost your job during the pandemic, the GOV.UK website offers advice about financial support and where to find another job.

You can get links to information about redundancy support and where to find a new job on the In North Somerset website.

Food banks and free school meals

If you don’t have enough money for food, you might be able to get help from your local food bank.

If you don’t have enough money to provide food for your children during the school holidays, there are lots of local businesses offering free meals. Find out about getting free meals for children during the holidays.

Welfare provision scheme

The welfare provision scheme can give you short term financial help in a crisis. The amount of help that can be given will depend on your circumstances.

Find out about the welfare provision scheme.

Test and Trace Support payment

If you are working, on a low-income and are required to self-isolate but can't work from home, you could be eligible for a £500 payment. Find out about the Test and Trace support payment, whether you are eligible and how to apply.

Universal Credit and Council Tax support

If you’re on a low income, you may entitled to help with your housing costs through Universal Credit or to help with your Council Tax through Council Tax support.

Find out more about the benefits you could receive.

Information for businesses

You can find out about the support available for businesses – including business rates relief, the coronavirus job retention scheme and business grants – on the In North Somerset website.